Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pitfalls Of Batman Fan Films?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's Most Important In A Batman Fan Film?
Story
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
Acting
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Cinematography
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Costume Design
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Set Design
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Batman Legend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Pitfalls Of Batman Fan Films? Reply with quote

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on common mistakes or issues with Batman fan films. You don't have to be specific on which fan film you're referring to, that way it's anonymous constructive criticism lol

Such as:

Story
Costume Design
Set Design
Acting
Cinematography
Sound Design/Mixing

I would like feedback. If anything I notice in most is lack of proper sound design/mixing or ADR.
CatfanBogota

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have felt that it was and IS the story that matters, with acting a very close second (if not tied for first). All of the other issues are very close as well, so it all ties together. I learned this from working on Batman 1969.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the film...

I think there are two things that are tied. Cinematography and story.

The cinematography in some of the fan films were basically just pointing and shooting...not many directors understood the camera is most important way to tell the story. Hitchcock used to turn the sound off and watch his films so he could see if the story is told well through the visual...Cinema is what's in the frame and what isn't.

The stories were well below average for a while. Before Batman Begins a lot of the films mimicked Burton's tale and after Begins, a lot of them used an origin story, Scarecrow, Ras Al Ghul as the villain.

As far as acting...a decent screenplay (short films are told better through visuals then dialogue) and cinematography can hide a poor performance...

The costumes, even with a low budget a poor Batman costume can be hidden with proper lighting. You would be surprised how fake the real Batman suit looks in normal light. Same thing with set design...it's all about what's in the frame and what isn't. I remember one film that had either the Joker or Riddler in the film and his hideout was obviously the director (or a production assistant's parents house). They had the villain sitting in the living room chair...to fix this, they could have still had him in the chair, but place a spotlight above him and only highlight his face and not show your mom's coffee table.

Sound design can also be taken care of with a few things. Film the scenes with no sound and have your actors record the dialogue after, or use the score as an aide to help tell the story. This would cover up the sound, or lack there of. I don't think it's the worst thing about these films.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BATMAN: Fan Films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: