Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Contract dispute...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Contract dispute... Reply with quote

If you had to work for a television company for free (internship) and pay for your own travel, would you sign a contract that is valid for one year?

I don't mind working for free, but taking off work and covering my own travel...plane tickets? Does this sound right?

Just wondering what the opinions are.

(These statements are just my opinion and hypothetical.)
Omar33

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what type of internship it is. For me if I got a chance to intern at Warner Bros, no doubt I'd do whatever I needed to do to get there. If it was something like a news station, I would pass it up and wait for the next opportunity. If its something big for you my dude, go after it. If it's not something that will have a huge impact on your career and the economy is tough on you, you might want to wait until the next big chance. Follow your gut man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mdifilm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, at many of the paid studios, internship means you go and learn there, and if you can apply for college credit then its basically onsite learning. I have many interns, they usually come and do stuff with me, and I do not pay them, they spend their gas, food, etc. but they are learning from me.

With major studios, the good thing is that you not only learn but get to network for future possibilities, look at it as an investment to a hands-on training center.

S: A Superman Fan FIlm
facebook.com/S4superman

A Joker's Card - A parody Batman fan film. https://vimeo.com/1675742
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdifilm wrote:
Yeap, at many of the paid studios, internship means you go and learn there, and if you can apply for college credit then its basically onsite learning. I have many interns, they usually come and do stuff with me, and I do not pay them, they spend their gas, food, etc. but they are learning from me.

With major studios, the good thing is that you not only learn but get to network for future possibilities, look at it as an investment to a hands-on training center.

I understand the investment part. This isn't for college credit. It's basically a new television company getting it's feet off the ground. This won't lead to film networking.
mdifilm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmbrtn wrote:
mdifilm wrote:

I understand the investment part. This isn't for college credit. It's basically a new television company getting it's feet off the ground. This won't lead to film networking.

Still, it is a normal thing in this industry, if you don't want to do it, then don't, even if this TV company is getting feet of the ground, they might know someone that might help you or you might learn something from them, if you don't think you do, just move on and don't participate.

As long as the expensies you are incurring are for yourself, even sometimes running errand with your own car for the compnay is ok, however, you just have to weight the cons and pros, if you are not lving in the same city, I would say don't bother. Those internship usually are catered for locals.

facebook.com/S4superman

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem using my own car and things like that. Leading up to the contract I was told all of my expenses would be paid and now that the contract needs to be signed all of a sudden they aren't going to be paid in full. Just weird how it's working out.
mdifilm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to them, and tell them what you were told and what it was written up, if that doesn't go anywhere, don't do it. plain and simple, no need to get upset about it either Smile

facebook.com/S4superman

tmbrtn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice! We will see where this goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: