Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Batman Fan Film Awards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think dead end, worlds finest and grayson should be excluded because they arent technically fan films. they are high end films produced by fans in hollywood. not regular people like us. films like patient j and legends are on the cusp though. i dont know where you would classify those. they werent shot for thousands of dollars, but they were very high end. i reluctantly wouldnt count them as professional and would rank them as regular fan films.
Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmbrtn wrote:
We have tried this many times before. I have been a member for 3 years or so and this was an idea before I came along.

I tried getting the idea across that films should be broken down into budget categories. Like "Best Film Over $2,000" or "Under $500". Something like that. Because if we had all films were considered, I could basically tell you who would win right now.

agreeded, like chris has mentioned we should exclude a few out of this just because they'll probably end up winning every single title.

I like the idea of the budjet categories.

I might help put something together if it really comes down to it.

http://majorpain.deviantart.com/

http://www.thetechnodrome.com/UltimateNinjaTurtles/index.php
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Patient J" was shot for $5,000 I believe. And "Legends" was actually a montage of lose footage. I'm not sure of the budget, but BITS has money to use, that's for sure.

We could do something like the MTV Movie Awards, "Best Hero", "Best Villian", "Best Fight Scene",etc. Stupid things like that.

Even using that we still would have to categorize the films by budget.

Should actors/actresses have their own event as well?

"Best Villian (under $1,000)"
"Best Villian (over $1,000)"
Guan Ry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big question is...since we've been trying to make this happen for, as tmbrtn said "Before I got here" and he's been here for 3 years...are we going to vote for films by the year they came out? That would make more sence. Otherwise there's too many films to judge if we do it by EVERY single fan film out there.

To be truly fair...I feel every actor from every film should be nominated. A theater troupe I belonged to had the "Graucho Awards" every year and every actor and actress was nominated. There were, I believe, twenty shows done over the course of the year and that's roughly close to what we had for fan films over the past couple of years. It's do-able anyway.

I really REALLY like and have always liked the idea of monatary tier systems when it comes to the nominations. Aaron's films would win a lot of awards and he clearly has a large budget on every outing.

A couple of other catagories I'd like to see:
Best Screenplay(not sure if anyone mentioned it yet)
Best Ensemble
Best Original Score
Best Arrangement of Music(for those that use already made tracks, this would be an award for those who used anything from Hans Zimmer's score to the songs used from various artists i.e. Greenday, Good Charlotte etc.)
Best Editing
Best Make-Up
Best Animated Film(since there are a few of them now, possibly include the lego films on this one)

Click Here to View Full Sized Image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
UntamedC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris .R. Notarile wrote:
i think dead end, worlds finest and grayson should be excluded because they arent technically fan films. they are high end films produced by fans in hollywood. not regular people like us. films like patient j and legends are on the cusp though. i dont know where you would classify those. they werent shot for thousands of dollars, but they were very high end. i reluctantly wouldnt count them as professional and would rank them as regular fan films.

Sigh. This is the story of my life. "Oh you worked too hard on something and spent too much money on it, so we're disqualifying you from the contest". Seriously, this is the like the 8th time this has happened.

Who needs the prize more then us? haha. We're like $15k in debt. =)
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris .R. Notarile wrote:

What the? Grayson, Dead End, Patient J, and Legends were guys who went out of their ways to spend the extra dough, pull the available resources, and do what it took to make a GOOD film. Wait a minute, wait a minute... let me slow down... a GOOD LOOKING film. Grayson's actually got the balls to be original but the others were just eye candy. It's like calling Rodriguez a genius for the Sin City movie when he really just traced. Now I'm not debating the quality of those films, I'm saying it's ridiculous to exclude them from the contest. NOT A DAMN PERSON ON THESE FORUMS isn't capable of learning the craft and networking enoguh to make enough contacts to make the same quality movies. Period. I'm in NE Ohio and I've shot on film because I made a point to do it. I've worked with big names because I traveled when I had to and kept grabbing attention with our short films. This isn't about me, it's about the fact that you can't hold the greats down for being too great. It would be better to ban any films where somebody's bedroom, basement, or backyard was used as a villain's lair and dad is mowing the lawn in the background. Hold the bar low and nobody will respect you. Hold it high and force yourself to reach it.
ABM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Dick Killed Bruce!

Why should a movie be penalized because of the amount of money, or quality put in to it? But isn’t that what any award is about? An achievement in excellence in any particular field? I think it comes down to some people not dealing with the competition. What’s wrong with putting in the time to actually do something decent enough to hold its ground with projects like Grayson or Dead End. I too, am tired people crying about how much money was put in some movies. Do something about it. . . . .Save money, learn filmmaking, have a proper pre-production stage. It makes a difference. I’m sorry, but you can’t make a movie (half way decent one anyway) in a day or two, especially if you want to achieve what the makers of the forth mention projects (among others) have done.
Aerial Prince of Gotham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were just talking about awards for 2006. So wouldn't Grayson, Dead End and Worlds Finest be excluded?
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you make it "best of 06" or "best of 07" or whatever you'll end up with a bunch of poor or moderate films. There are not many good fan films so it's best to go with all of them in my opinion. If you guys want all the films that I think you want to be included, you should have a contest for fan films made by non-adults maybe. 18 and under?
Guan Ry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick killed Bruce wrote:
I think if you make it "best of 06" or "best of 07" or whatever you'll end up with a bunch of poor or moderate films. There are not many good fan films so it's best to go with all of them in my opinion. If you guys want all the films that I think you want to be included, you should have a contest for fan films made by non-adults maybe. 18 and under?

DKB, I honestly love your brutal honesty! It's good to have a guy on here like you. Everybody on this board are cool and a lot of fun to discuss issues with but the general populace on this board are almost too nice sometimes. If we want to help each other grow, we gotta tell it like it is.

Click Here to View Full Sized Image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be cruel at all and I respect anybody who goes out and gets a movie FINISHED no matter what.
The Techno Bat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's do this!

How about we set a deadline date for getting all the categories together, and if we do it small at first, we can allow it to grow for next year, and let it go from there.

So for this year I wouldn't mind seeing:

FILMS
- Best Batman Fan Film
- Best Batman Fan Trailer
- Best Batman Fan Teaser
- Best Superhero Fan Film

ACTORS/ACTRESSES
- Lead Hero
- Lead Villian
- Supporting Hero
- Supporting Villian

And then we could have

Best Costumes
Best Make-Up

Keep it small and simple and it will be alot easier to get something like this done. We can do it for 2006 & 2007. And the reason why I would say do it for each year is this way here people can stand out for there work over the past year, it you group it all together alot of guys and gals would be left out, and it would have people strive to put out the best they can if they knew that had that much more of a shot at being

And for movies like DeadEnd, Grayson, Dead End, Patient J, they are all fan films at the end of the day, but I can see where alot of people would feel it's unfair because of the budget, perhaps a seperate category of Hi-Res Fan Films?

COMICFILMEXPERT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I see the categories:

PUBLISHED MATERIAL:
Best Fan Film Feature (20+ minutes)
Best Fan Film Short (19- minutes)
Best Fan Trailer
Best Fan Teaser
Best Poster
Best Screenplay (Adaptation)
Best Screenplay (Original Work)

PEOPLE:
Best Fan Film Director
Best Fan Trailer/Teaser Director
Best Fan Film/Trailer/Teaser Actor
Best Fan Film/Trailer/Teaser Actress
Best Art Designer (posters, etc.)
Best Screenwriter (Adaptation)
Best Screenwriter (Original Work)

PRODUCTION:
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Score/Use of Score
Best Costuming
Best Visual Effects
Best Make Up Effects
Best Production Design/Use of Location
Best Sound/Use of Sound

PEOPLES CHOICE:
Most Popular Fan Film
Least Popular Fan Film
Best Fan Film Actor
Best Fan Film Actress
Best Fan Film Director
Best Fan Film Screenwriter
Most Anticipated New Project

-----------------

CFE

Winner: Best Screenplay - 2006 Plano Senior High School Film Festival
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an awesome idea so long as it doesn't turn out to be a foot race where people are trying to think up different reasons on why the fastest runners shouldn't be allowed. Too tall, too old, didn't make the cut off, etc.

How much does a first place trophy mean if the winner was far from being the best at what he does?

Either way, I'm all for this and will give my opinion however this ends up working out.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the ammount of fanfilms we actually have, you can't have more than 3 or 4 awards or it's just gonna be the same fanfilms in every catagory. I think the best idea I've heard is either going with a "Best short with a budge below/above this ammount" or "Best short by a filmmaker under 18/over 18" and just go with "all the movies on the BFF website" as the specfications.

http://vimeo.com/stevenshanahan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BatmanFanFilms.com All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: