Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chris .R. Notarile's KILLER PREQUELS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Chris .R. Notarile's KILLER PREQUELS Reply with quote

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I last posted something here. But now, I have something new for you all. A series I am putting together called:

KILLER PREQUELS

It is a three part series which will focus on the humble beginnings of some of our favorite slashers. The first of three will be entitled: KRUEGER (A tale from Elm Street). It takes place in the 1970's when Freddy was first arrested by Nancy's father, Lt. Thompson.

The second entry will be titled: VOORHEES (Born on a Friday). It will open in 1957 with Pamela Voorhees, receiving the news that her son drowned at day camp. Needless to say, she will snap.

And the third and final entry will be titled: MYERS (Michael's First Halloween). It will essentially open up in 1963, 10 minutes before the starting point of the original film and focus on exactly what might have made Michael want to kill Judith. (I assure you, its' not because she didn't take him trick or treating, ha ha ha.)

Below is the first installment. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S1tAaLZo9w
xorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept, I'll check it out and give you my review later today.

Last edited by xorn on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Rac Shade

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds really great Chris,it seems you're gonna go back to the roots of our 3 horror movie stars,and that would make a helluva lot more sense if hollywood went prequel instead of just remakes.

(Hollywood,will they ever learn? Geez..)

I mean,Star Wars,went prequel,but there was at least a Texas chainsaw massacre prequel,so at least someone was doing something right.

Anyways,great job with the prequel film,and I look forward to what you got in store for the jason and Micheal prequels.

Just one thing I wanted to ask and point out.
This film you did makes the 4th time you used an interrogation scene in a movie,the others were two MR.J films and that one in android,but not saying that's bad or nothing I swear it's not.

I'm just asking is,do you have a thing for interrogation scenes? Either way,use what works I suppose,but for you it does work well.

Good luck with the rest of the trilogy,it sounds great.
Omar33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detective is a very good actor. A TINSEY WINCEY bit of over acting by freddy but he did a good job.

The writing was very well done. There was stakes, there was a fight for dominant status between actors, good pauses, etc.

So your skills in directing these actors showed very well in this one. Im glad your detective didn't go over the top as most often happens in interrogation scenes. I think Rac Shade is right, going back to your roots really works for you especially applying your new found skill for doing interrogation scenes.

Very well shot opening. Good stuff over all. Both actors bear a strong resemblance to their older counter parts.
Well done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its just a coincidence i use the interrogation room. lol. but thanks guys. im glad you liked the film.
xorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequence in the beginning I thought was done very well, the only thing that took me out of that scene was the girl but overall I liked it. The interrogation scene had it's up and downs. The actor portraying the detective was excellent like others have mentioned the actor portraying Krueger seemed to be a bit over acting and maybe a little forced in some areas but I'm assuming that you wanted Freddy to be a bit over the top? The dialogue was written very well and as Omar said there was something at stake rather than a couple characters spewing witty lines at each other.

I felt the cinematography could have been a bit better I think you could have opened up the frame at the beginning of the interrogation and went with tighter shots as the scene began to intense I did however like the use of the security feed for wider shots and the the handheld movement when the detective burst out of his chair. Th one thing that did take me out of the scene was the shot of Krueger when he says "Touched me and your !" I don't mind ignoring the "180 rule" when done well but I think you could have executed better to establish that shot maybe and dolly movement behind the detective or and handheld shot crossing the axis.

Overall I liked the short and am definitely curious to see what you have in store for the other shorts.
xorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask but how is "Stand Off" coming along?
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude really? the girl was 5 years old and never acted before. cut the poor kid some slack. as for the rest of the movie- we didnt actually have an interrogation room. i blew 45 dollars renting an acting studio for 3 hours. a wide shot would have ruined the scene's believability, trust me, i saw the raw footage. as for the 180 rule, to hell with it. i abided by it for 99% of the movie. so what if theres one shot with out it? the important thing was that it flowed well.

regarding the cinematography, what precisely were you expecting? crane shots? tracking dolly shots? a pull focus? its an interrogation scene. just talking heads at a table with some minor physical conflict at the end. if i tripoded it, it would be boring. theres only so much you can so when youre confined to a tiny white walled room. (apart from having a steadicam, i did just about as much as wally pfeister did in dark knight.)

as for freddy, watch the nightmare franchise. roberto's performance is precisely in line with everything robert englund has done over the years and not a single freddy fan complained about him yet.

anyhoo, im very proud of this movie. i shot it in 4 hours with a budget of less than 50 dollars. not bad when you think about it.

as for stand off, i am still trying to find a composer for the movie.
xorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris .R. Notarile wrote:
dude really? the girl was 5 years old and never acted before. cut the poor kid some slack. as for the rest of the movie- we didnt actually have an interrogation room. i blew 45 dollars renting an acting studio for 3 hours. a wide shot would have ruined the scene's believability, trust me, i saw the raw footage. as for the 180 rule, to hell with it. i abided by it for 99% of the movie. so what if theres one shot with out it? the important thing was that it flowed well.

regarding the cinematography, what precisely were you expecting? crane shots? tracking dolly shots? a pull focus? its an interrogation scene. just talking heads at a table with some minor physical conflict at the end. if i tripoded it, it would be boring. theres only so much you can so when youre confined to a tiny white walled room. (apart from having a steadicam, i did just about as much as wally pfeister did in dark knight.)

as for freddy, watch the nightmare franchise. roberto's performance is precisely in line with everything robert englund has done over the years and not a single freddy fan complained about him yet.

anyhoo, im very proud of this movie. i shot it in 4 hours with a budget of less than 50 dollars. not bad when you think about it.

as for stand off, i am still trying to find a composer for the movie.

Opening up the frame does not necessarily mean a wide shot, you could have used a medium shot or a high angle shot perhaps as security feed and I don't see how it would have ruined the believability of the scene. Abiding by the 180 rule 99 % of time and then breaking it for one shot does not flow well unless it serves a purpose and it did not in this scene.

Cinematography is not all about crane or tracking shots so I have no idea why you even brought those up, you could have expanded on the scene by shot composition and lighting which you did not. The size of room should have only been a small factor, I've been on independent shoots that were filmed in a 12x12 room and still utilized dolly tracks. And I think you might want to re-watch that scene from TDK because you did not do as much as Wally did. The camera in that scene is almost always constantly moving and did not utilize a steadicam but was rather handheld or on a dolly.

I've seen every film from the Nightmare franchise and the writing and Roberto's interpretation might have been in line but the acting was forced at times and not completely natural.

And I applaud you for being able to shoot it in such a short time frame and for the budget you had.
Omar33

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally thought the girl was fine.

Chris, he gave you a critique. There is no point in arguing back at critiques or else no one will want to give you them. You asked for an opinion, he told you he didnt like the little girl, so there is no need to justify her performance with the background knowledge. Knowing she has never acted before wont change his opinion on the scene. Same with the camera critiques, there's no point in battling, it wont change the opinion.

We all care about our work and want to defend it but there's really no logic in arguing with constructive criticism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not arguing, just stating some obvious facts. and ive said it before and ill say it again, this is really the only site that i post on where people actually complain or "critique" my work. i post in a lot of places and im the first one to admit when something needs to be improved upon. but truthfully, i thought this particular movie was pretty flawless. i made do with all the resources i had. and no one outside of this site has attempted to register a "critique" on the quality of this movie.

so i just find it odd that only on here do i get people telling me things that need to be fixed. its like you guys specifically look for things wrong on purpose, subsequently ruining your ability to enjoy the movie.

im saying this as my observation from this site. we all dislike armchair critics. so lets do our best to not act like them either.

ps xorn- i do not have a dolly, a steadicam or tracks. my tripod only went so high for the security feed. what miracles in defying gravity were you possibly expecting?

and i repeat omar, the girl was 5. i will defend her performance to the death because i know damn at 5 i would not have been able to cry on cue like that. so ease up off her.
ChristonaBike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u dont need the "this was not made by hollywood" disclaimer on your videos, noone is gonna mistake it for such. Just saying. The reason people critisise your work here isnt because we are harder to please, its because people post their work here looking for ways to improve. Its a learning environment and one ive grown very fond of over the years. if u hate it so much, why do u keep returning?

for the record also, i am not an armchair critic. I would not give any criticism i wouldnt be prepared to hear myself about my own work.
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd be surprised how many people ask me if my fan films are official. so forcive habbit.

anyhoo, there is a fine distinction between constructive critiquing and coming off as pompous. perhaps it wasnt xorn's intention, but he came off as kinda pompous in his critique. as we all know the internet is no place for inflection, but this isnt the first time i along with other people have brought this up.

not trying to start anything, just saying.
Omar33

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris you're about to repeat a conversation we've had with you multiple times. Same ol' song and dance. Im disturbed you think this particular piece is "flawless". Sounds like a piece of humble pie should be in order for your next dinner. We gave you a great review. We congratulated you on making A VERY GOOD short film.

However it wasn't perfect. My reasons are different than xorns reasons. Breaking 180 didnt bother me, it bothered him. Overacting on Freddy's part bothered me but it might not bother any one else. If you don't like the critiques on here stop posting. This isn't the first time you've run into this issue with us. No one else has this issue with us when they post their films. When my film is torn up with constructive (in mild cases destructive) criticism I acknowledge the input and move on...as I've learned most professional artists do.
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer right. we're about to do the same song and dance we've done before. i still think a lot of you on here are armchair critics and im not alone in this belief and you think im a stuck up filmmaker who cant take a critique. the truth is, i can, when its given by someone i respect or by someone who means well. i dont tolerate nit picking which is the vibe im getting right now. but thats my opinion and im entitled to it.

regardless, this conversation is officially over. i dont feel the need to debate semantics on here. that being said, later guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » General Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: