Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What The Heck Happend Here?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
agree completely. I know that if i made a batman fan film right now it would suck. thats why i havent tried a new one. Sure i will help write a few on occasion but i try to stick to what i can get the best results out of.

With that type of negative attitude that says a whole lot about your film making intentions. Don't hold back on films just because people will think it will "suck". Making a film is hard work but it is also a blast! If you put fun and hard work into your film then who really gives a crap what people say. Yeah there will be critics. But no one's opinion should ever stop you from doing something for fear that it will suck. It's life!

Last edited by Omar33 on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BiohazardXBW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkOne wrote:
Yes it's sad how some of the threads have gotten here. I see a few, which I won't mention or waste my time talking, and just shake my head. This used to be a good place to hang out, talk about movies and stuff like that. Nowadays, it's just whining and nit picking and having people say who should belong and who shouldn't.

And it's wrong.

But I'll tell you one thing.

I'm not leaving this forum.

Why?

First and foremost, I love Batman. Always have and always will. And last I checked, that is the first name of this forum.

Second, I'm a fan. Now, I'm no filmmaker. Never said I was. But I'm learning. Slowly and surely. Because I have a story I want to tell. A movie I want to do. And I'm going to do it. And I don't care if someone says it sucks or not. I'm going to get it done. No matter what.

Another reason I like this forum. Which is probably the most important, is the friends I've made here. Eric, Will, Bio, Vic, Waveride, PlusOne, Thomas, JLA, STE, Dick Killed Bruce, and others who I've met over the years have become good friends, both here and away from this forum. And I wouldn't trade that for anything.

So that's why I keep coming here and will continue to come here. I'm slowly putting together my own movie and maybe one day, I'll do a fan film. But I'm an original kind of guy and want to do my own original work.

But I will say this again. I'm not leaving this place. I'm not leaving this forum.

I like it here. I still do, in spite of what's been happening here lately.

Hopefully one day, it'll get back to being a likeable place again.

Stands up and claps
WillStudios999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go.. I'll give you my two cents:

Quote:
Yes it's sad how some of the threads have gotten here. I see a few, which I won't mention or waste my time talking, and just shake my head. This used to be a good place to hang out, talk about movies and stuff like that. Nowadays, it's just whining and nit picking and having people say who should belong and who shouldn't.

And it's wrong.

Why?

First and foremost, I love Batman. Always have and always will. And last I checked, that is the first name of this forum.

Second, I'm a fan. Now, I'm no filmmaker. Never said I was. But I'm learning. Slowly and surely. Because I have a story I want to tell. A movie I want to do. And I'm going to do it. And I don't care if someone says it sucks or not. I'm going to get it done. No matter what.

Another reason I like this forum. Which is probably the most important, is the friends I've made here. Eric, Will, Bio, Vic, Waveride, PlusOne, Thomas, JLA, STE, Dick Killed Bruce, and others who I've met over the years have become good friends, both here and away from this forum. And I wouldn't trade that for anything.

So that's why I keep coming here and will continue to come here. I'm slowly putting together my own movie and maybe one day, I'll do a fan film. But I'm an original kind of guy and want to do my own original work.

But I will say this again. I'm not leaving this place. I'm not leaving this forum.

I really have to agree with Mark on this one, this forum has really helped me out over the past few years, giving tips and constructive and non-constructive criticism, about my projects or fan films that I've made. One out of many things kept me continuing on making films is you guys giving me a tremendeous amount support and sticking with me all the way.

I have also made many good friends over this forum, (Mark, Eric, Tom, Armin (Bio), Omar, Andrew, Bobby, Glenn, Josh, and lots more) who don't just say my films are good because they're being nice and they're my friends, but they have given me tips and criticism about my films that would help me improve with my next shorts or projects. I'm still learning TONS of things about filmmaking, and I still have lots to learn, and I really enjoy every aspect of filmmaking and coming to this forum and will definitely not leave.

When I first started out creating a short, crappy, non-good quality fan film back in 2005, I got a lot of criticism and I have to admit that I didn't take it too well, but a lot of you guys really help me and learn how to take criticism. Today, I now use every tip or word that people say about my work, including how to improve sound and lighting, which are the two major things I still need to work on.

I also love Batman from the start I was born, literarly. I always remember my older brother handing me a Batman comic book and watching the animated television show, and not to mention all of the Burton and Schumacher films. This forum and website really includes some brilliant pieces of fan work, and I believe that everyone who creates movies or fan films all have their own unquie vision and way to tell their story. I believe that everyone creates their films for fun. Sure they might not be too good, but we all know they put their heart and soul into it. I mean hell, look at Spielberg. He creates his movies for fun and puts his heart and soul into all of his films he makes.

Overall, I really think that this forum offers a lot of well balanced support, that contain many people who do what they do for fun. This might not be the case with a lot of people, but for me, it does. Agreeing or disagreeing with me, that's my two cents. I will definitely not leave this forum, after meeting a lot of people, and I think we should definitely thank him for bringing this community together.

~phelps
Dash Madden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masteroms33 wrote:
Quote:
agree completely. I know that if i made a batman fan film right now it would suck. thats why i havent tried a new one. Sure i will help write a few on occasion but i try to stick to what i can get the best results out of.

With that type of negative attitude that says a whole lot about your film making intentions. Don't hold back on films just because people will think it will "suck". Making a film is hard work but it is also a blast! If you put fun and hard work into your film then who really gives a crap what people say. Yeah there will be credits. But no one should ever not attempt anything for fear of it doing poorly.

I've agreed with most points up to this one. I just don't understand it. What's wrong with waiting until you can do something better to put out a film? As long as it gets out sometime, you will have put out a film and not only that, but will have done it better than you would've had you not the patience to wait. That's what many of these points have been about...how much run-of-the-mill fanfilms aren't great, just because people are still learning.

I admit, I've been picky about who I take criticism seriously from, won't go into names, but the most experienced among you, you know who you are.

But even factoring out criticism of others, what would you rather put out there as your own personal tribute to your favorite character...a shining piece of work or a 2 bit piece on a handi-cam?

This has always been my opinion on doing these, I thought it was shared by most. Please correct me if I'm wrong about it guys. Just my 2 cents
Omar33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY point was. If you want to do something. Do it. Period. Life is too short to miss out on something fun just because your afraid it might not do well. Sure, i have no issue on waiting to get experience until you decide to make one. But to just give up on one entirely if its something you want to do, just because your afraid of what people will think, is stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheDarkKnightSN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkOne wrote:

And it's wrong.

Why?

This is one of the best posts I have ever seen. You really capture what a lot of people are thinking (including me). I've been here for a long time. I still love the place but as I've said in other threads, this is a matter of the professionals and the hobbiests finding common ground. Some people (like you and I, Mark) make films because we enjoy it and have stories to tell. I've taken a few film classes and have even considered majoring in film but, although I am still taking films classes, I have now decided to not major in film. This is something I want to do for fun but I still need to learn stuff. I have learned a lot from this forum and hope to continue to but people here need to understand that not everyone here is here to make profressional films. Fan-films are an expression of a fan's love for a fictional character. These expressions vary by person and what they want to do. Both sides of this issue need to be more open minded.

I completely disagree with the fact that this forum is transforming. It is not changing to be more professional and I dont think it should. Not everyone wants to be a professional. This doesnt mean that their work should be garbage and THATS what advice is for. I'm not at all discouraging the professionals from posting here. They are a valuable part of this community but they need to understand that not everyone makes films the way they do. These people are very important to the community because they have a lot of experience and have a lot to share with the other people of this forum. We just all need to work together and be more accepting.

AKA: Desmoduse [on BOTB]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDarkKnightSN wrote:

I completely disagree with the fact that this forum is transforming. It is not changing to be more professional and I dont think it should. .

It will change whether anybody wants it to or not because people are growing older and wiser. Nobody said this site had to be a filmmaking camp. It's transforming because that's life. People are getting more mature and that's just the way things go. How can you disagree? Three years ago this conversation wouldn't have existed.
TheDarkKnightSN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick killed Bruce wrote:
TheDarkKnightSN wrote:

I completely disagree with the fact that this forum is transforming. It is not changing to be more professional and I dont think it should. .

It will change whether anybody wants it to or not because people are growing older and wiser. Nobody said this site had to be a filmmaking camp. It's transforming because that's life. People are getting more mature and that's just the way things go. How can you disagree? Three years ago this conversation wouldn't have existed.

I agree it wouldnt have existed. People have always been growing. Thats very much a part of what this place is. I dont think that this place is going to start putting out more professional films but instead higher quality films (and this progression has been present from the beginning). This isnt a phase, it's an ongoing process.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSandmaNx wrote:
I really can't call any of you as my friend, sorry. I tried to, but I've come to conclusion that I don't have friends here. I don't hate you, and I hope that no one hates me, but that doesn't make us friends.

You're probably 100% right. Friendship goes beyond Instant Messenger, emails, and even phone calls. Calling people on BFF friends really only applies in rare cases. Not many of you know what my day to day problems are and you probably wouldn't care. Just cuz we all dig Batman and reading each others' opinions doesn't mean we know each other at all in real life.
TheDarkKnightSN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick killed Bruce wrote:
xSandmaNx wrote:
I really can't call any of you as my friend, sorry. I tried to, but I've come to conclusion that I don't have friends here. I don't hate you, and I hope that no one hates me, but that doesn't make us friends.

You're probably 100% right. Friendship goes beyond Instant Messenger, emails, and even phone calls. Calling people on BFF friends really only applies in rare cases. Not many of you know what my day to day problems are and you probably wouldn't care. Just cuz we all dig Batman and reading each others' opinions doesn't mean we know each other at all in real life.

This is true for me as well but I know some people here do talk about things other than Batman with each other. Even though I'm not really "friends" with anyone here I still have tremendous respect for most everyone here and am glad to be a part of the community.

aTwenty7thLetter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a member for over two years but due to the long gaps between my posts in the past I'm probably still looked at as "one of the new guys". I notice a lot of my replies or posts often get overlooked or flat out ignored and it doesn't bother me. I'm a few years older than most of the other members and no one knows anything about me. I totally understand.

But I'm pretty familiar with many of you. Because even if I don't always reply I keep up with a lot of the threads and the progress of certain films. I probably mentioned before how the first films I ever made were Batman movies with my friends in junior high. So not only does this bring back a lot of memories, but I know how far I've come since those early films. And it's really fun to watch you guys improve and get better as well. I'm still greatly impressed with Eric's progression. His films keep getting better and I'm still insanely jealous of a high school student (at the time) with enough ambition to shoot films back to back, create his own TV series, cartoon, comic book, and God knows what else. The leaps in achievement from STE'S first Batman to Dark Tomorrow are incredible.

Maybe 99.9% of them aren't any good. Maybe the ones that are still aren't great when judged as actual films. But I don't think just because myself or anyone else is more immersed in the industry than the younger posters means we need to remind them what the business is really like and how under-qualified they and their films are. They're on their own paths and they'll figure all of this out.

No, BFF is not a definitive or comprehensive filmmaking tutorial. But it can be a resource. And you know something? After film school, industry jobs, and on set experience you know how I learned the most important lessons? By making my own films. Again and again and again.

I have binders full of notes on 3 point lighting, the circle of confusion, the telescine process, scrims, nagra recorders, and everything else. I could have taken a quarter of my tuition, made a couple short films, learned the same lessons, saved some money, and probably have had a lot more fun. The best way to learn is to just do it. And that's exactly what most of these guys are doing. I say we just stay out of their way and continue to enjoy their development.

Maybe a reality check isn't out of order once in awhile. But a lot of those posts usually make me roll my eyes and think, "Get over yourself..."

Of course not all of us are going to get along. The clash of opinions can be awesome for discussions. But things have turned gravely serious around here recently.

Last time I checked it's a Batman Fan Film message board. Why all the long faces?

I may be a stranger to many of you. But a lot of the names that made this such an awesome place to visit when I first joined are still here. And I really hope they aren't going anywhere.

BATMAN: BLACK & WHITE

www.27thLetterProductions.com

Last edited by aTwenty7thLetter on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Scott Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With that type of negative attitude that says a whole lot about your film making intentions. Don't hold back on films just because people will think it will "suck". Making a film is hard work but it is also a blast! If you put fun and hard work into your film then who really gives a crap what people say. Yeah there will be critics. But no one's opinion should ever stop you from doing something for fear that it will suck. It's life!

To expand on that a little, you can't get better at something without sucking at it first. Case in point, watch our first Batman movie! (titled Batman). I'll be the first to say that its not very good. But it was such a learning experience, and without having done that and made those mistakes we wouldn't have come as far as we have with our current project Dark Tomorrow. And I just realized that this is a bit off topic for this thread, but I'm posting it anyway!

Scott
Scott Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could have taken a quarter of my tuition, made a couple short films, learned the same lessons, saved some money, and probably have had a lot more fun.

Hell yeah!

Quote:
The leaps in achievement from STE'S first Batman to Dark Tomorrow are incredible.

Thanks man, thats encouraging! Believe it or not, I made my previous post before I had even read yours, and I just now went back to read yours.

Scott
BiohazardXBW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick killed Bruce wrote:
xSandmaNx wrote:

i would cal up Mark b. anytime but i got 2 much crap to do i don't have time to even call my local friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BatmanFanFilms.com All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: