Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Bandwidth problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judge Rico

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Bandwidth problems Reply with quote

I'd thought I'd move the discussion of bandwidth over to a new thread. So far the solution seems to be zipped up files.

There's very few websites that will host films for free. Theforce.net might be an idea for some people. They seem to be looking for more non SW fan films.
Redskull

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far that hasn't helped and the owners of this site arn't adressing the problem...
Doctor Arkham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about creating a DC++ Hub for Batman fanfilms? It allows for a file sharing environment, but still allows the for a set of rules and thus control for the Moderator or whatever they're called. I don't know if its the solution, but it may be one to at least another one to consider.

Also, I'll go on record and say I appreciate you doing what you do here. I've watched the site grow and evolve into what it is now and that takes dedication and lots of work. Especially for a one man operation as it is. Good job man.
Doctor Arkham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit Torrent is cool, but it takes a lot of people to get it going at a reasonable d/l speed. I like it okay, but only if I can't get it via normal means or DC++.

Here is a DC++ (Direct Connect Plus Plus) link: http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net Hopefully you can find some info there, not sure if thats the proper link but it should at least point you in the right direction. Ever since finding it I've said goodbye to all other file sharing services like Bit Torrent, Kazaa, etc. It's just easier....once you know what your doing. :/

I'm still around I just have projects going that are monopolizing all my time which is actually a good thing as I'm getting a lot of work done. Rest assured though, I'm still lurking when I can.
Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one thing that really doesn't make any sense. This site is one of many that mirrors fanfilms. I mean you KNEW before you started the site that you were going to be providing large file sized downloadable files for the entire internet to view. Surely you must've anticipated the large bill.

Why don't you try getting sponsors to foot the bill? There are also some website providers that will give you good deals on hosting prices if you get loads of user visits.

Now this web site is not the only one who has had to take their films down because of the cost of bandwith. Actually I think all of them have. What angers me is that this is something that would be anticipated by the webmasters. I mean, what are you going to do when HALF of the movies featured here are released?

-Maniac
Before I was ever Oracle, I had another name, another identity, another...self. I used to work with a man, Helena's father. He was Gotham's greatest champion...and most people never even knew he existed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Enrique

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maniac, you're being unrealistic and unfair about this. Whether or not we anticipate high bandwidth usage is irrelevant. Those of us who are hosting video files are paying for it out of our own pockets, and due to the nature of our projects (i.e. infringing on the Batman copyright), no one would sponsor us.

I originally hosted Year One and Mourning After on my personal website, and at first, each month I'd come close to my bandwidth limit. But then the whole fan film thing blew up and I couldn't handle the bandwidth, so I had to remove the video files. Why? Because I'm paying it out of my pocket, and because I'm not making a dime off anything, I will not put in MORE money than necessary. Especially if said money would be put to better use either in eating or clothing myself, or applied to the very movie the website is promoting.

I originally hosted my videos on a host that limited me to 6 gigs a month. After Mourning After came out, I was forced to find another host which allowed me THIRTY gigs a month. It was then that I learned BFF was fronting the bulk of the people watching my videos, as when BFF shut down his video files, my bandwidth TRIPLED, and I was forced to shut down as well.

So going along with Maniac's plan, I'd have to find another host to get more bandwidth, thus both paying to get out of my current hosting contract and paying the set up fees at the 2nd host, not to mention paying more for the extra bandwidth. But then, it's obvious that the more people know about our movies and the bigger our video files get, the more bandwidth will be used up, and so we'll be forced to go to a 3rd, and then 4th, etc. host to continue to provide the bandwidth needed.

Sometimes, it's just not worth it.
Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then you just need more people to be mirroring the films. That would even the loads out. Because like you said if one exceeds their limit, then all will. Or of course you could always build your own webservers and host your films for free, but that's really complecated.

There are some websites out there who are experts in how to maintain heavy download costs yet still offer all their content. homestarrunner.com is one and redvsblue.com is another. redvsblue.com gets about 1tb of downloads a month yet they still keep the site up from stuff like donations and selling shirts. Now I know there is a gray legal area with selling shirts and stuff, but if it's a company shirt with your corporate logo, and you sell it off a distanced site or better off your batman film is just one of many films your company has made, you should have no legal problems.

Then of course there's also file sharing. Unfortunatly I tried doing this with the XVID version of Dark Justice on Ares and nobody downloaded it off me. And I refuse to use Kazaa because of the viruses and the recording industry/movie industry trolls.

-Maniac
Before I was ever Oracle, I had another name, another identity, another...self. I used to work with a man, Helena's father. He was Gotham's greatest champion...and most people never even knew he existed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Enrique

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're suggesting subjective ideas. True, sites like homestarrunner have massive loads, but as you pointed out, they make money. I'd be wasting my time and money by putting out merchandise with my logo on it, because no one would care to buy the stuff in the first place.

As for file sharing, that I personally don't go for, because I want to know how many people are downloading what, so I can judge whether this or that is working. I can't get any feedback at all from file sharing.

Oh, and it's not free at all to have your own servers. It costs money to buy server protection, plus you have to pay for the connection. Regular DSL wouldn't cut it (128 to 256kbps from the server to the browser), you'd need either 1.5Mbps DSL ($60 and up per month) or an industrial line like a T1 or T3 (don't even ask...)
Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a shirt from you. If you made it cool looking.

-Maniac
MarvelMovies

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly come to BatmanFanFilms.com to see what films are in production, and what stage of production they are currently in.. such as the script stage, shooting, editing, or released soon..

I think that the film maker should host the video on his / her site, instead of relying on other sites to provide the bandwidth..

Maybe, a site like this could provide a 100 downloads (or a reasonable #) per month.. and then cut it off. This could atleast start the spread of a certain film..

Also, I use Bit Torrent all the time.. and it's a great program, maybe if one person could download the torrent.. and keep it in their uploading list.. letting other people to download it from them, a chain can be started keeping the video up and about..

A .Torrent file is only around 10 - 30 kb or so.. so the bandwidth would be greatly saved for a particular site..

I host a website at www.Internapse.com but don't offer any huge downloadable files, b/c the person who hosts my site doesn't wish to pay a large bandwidth bill.. since both of our sites are non-profit (as of right now anyways).. and I share his space so his wishes are my commands..

Smile

Anyways, once the video is initially out.. one can spread the file using..

A) E-Mail (If file is under 10mb (for Yahoo!) for instance)
B) Bit Torrent (Probably the best idea yet, if file is larger then 10mb)
C) AIM or another chat program which allows file transfer b/t users
D) KaZaa or another P2P program..
E) A website such as TheForce.net which could be (and I think it is) the largest hosting provider for fan films (although mainly Star Wars.. starting to branch out)
F) Film Maker's website
G) Release on VCD (Burned on Normal Blank CDs) and sending through mail for either... free... or buyer pays S&H...

To Quote Maniac...
Quote:
This is one thing that really doesn't make any sense. This site is one of many that mirrors fanfilms. I mean you KNEW before you started the site that you were going to be providing large file sized downloadable files for the entire internet to view. Surely you must've anticipated the large bill.

Maniac is part of BiTS as I understand.. as I often see him commenting on the BiTS message board giving updated film status and such..

Dark Justice was only on BiTS for a few days before being taken down, due to bandwidth problems.. and BB:YO hasn't been put up due to bandwidth and size problems...

BiTS relied on BFF to host and provide DJ for a while, even linking to the DL page..

So, I guess BiTS didn't anticipate the huge bandwidth bill either.. and that they are going to provide huge downloadable files as well.. so the load shouldn't all be tossed on BFF's shoulders..

BFF is a place of information.. and sometimes goes the extra effort to host films.. and maybe people should be a little more grateful then..
Doctor Arkham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarvelMovies wrote:

To Quote Maniac...
Quote:

Maniac is part of BiTS as I understand.. as I often see him commenting on the BiTS message board giving updated film status and such..

Dark Justice was only on BiTS for a few days before being taken down, due to bandwidth problems.. and BB:YO hasn't been put up due to bandwidth and size problems...

BiTS relied on BFF to host and provide DJ for a while, even linking to the DL page..

So, I guess BiTS didn't anticipate the huge bandwidth bill either.. and that they are going to provide huge downloadable files as well.. so the load shouldn't all be tossed on BFF's shoulders..

I agree that it is the filmmaker's responsability to host their own films and it's also silly for certain filmmaker affiliated persons (coughcouchBiTScoughcough) to complain that he -who makes not a single dime from this site- stopped hosting films....especially when said filmmakers sell t-shirts from their own site, clearly profiting from their use of the Batman character and yet, for some reason they can't scrape together the cash to host it either....

If I was he, I would have said to hell with this a long time ago for the lack of respect he gets from some people around here when all he does is try and promote these films.
avenger999

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about you try rab's idea for a bit it would be great if for example you picked dead end for that month then you wouldnt have any of the people who had seen it downloading anything but the people who hadnt could see it and the the next month the same thing happens with a diffrent movie it would only get to see 12 movies a year but its better then never seeing them at all and it would spread the bandwidth use out over the year instead of it being so constant and it would also bring attention to leser known fan films when ther chosen to be shown
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Frankie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the frequency and quantity of people who come to the site, I'd strongly suggest either ed2k or bittorrent.

Bittorrent is good for spreading files very quickly amongst a fairly large group of people, but requires a tracker and files don't tend to last too long after the original source stops seeding.

ED2K (I use the emule client) is significantly slower in spreading the files, but once spread files tend to last months, if not years, on the network. Also, ed2k doesn't need any sort of tracker so all you need to release files is an ed2k client and that's it.

Both these p2ps have the advantage over downloading from the site in that they are run on people's home connections, and because they both force people to upload as they download there is less demand on the person who releases the files
empiredude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds tough
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BatmanFanFilms.com All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: