Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
General Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
huntthejest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: General Help Reply with quote

So, I am brand new to this board. I've wanted to make a Batman fan film since I was in high school. Here we are, 4 years later, and I have a decent script and, thanks to my interest in local theatre, a wonderfully talented cast. Now the hard part sets in. I need film equipment, costumes, and someone who knows something about filmaking to help me get this production going. My budget is next to nothing(READ: nothing) and I was wondering if any experienced filmakers had advice as to how I should proceed from here. Basically, this project is all passion. I've made sure not to include anyone that didn't immediately become passionate about this project. They know they're not getting paid. That's not what its about. Its about doing what they love, and making something they're proud of. The story is one that is both new, and faithul to elements from some of my favorite Batman stories. Thanks!
reptile84

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to keep costs down myself on a fan film effort.
Once I became involved, I grew pride, then became proud, then ended up spending $800 of my own money because I did not want my props to look...cheap....I guess in the end, I broke some rules.Rolling Eyes

My advice is not to become too attached.
Use whatever you can beg, borrow or steal. Try to do something within your means rather than focus on film length or style.

...I think if you have a story remotely interesting, people will watch it.

Blinky Productions probably is your best example since the project I was involved with didn't finish their movie.
CatfanBogota

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what is involved with a fan film myself, since my own project is in post-production, and progressing. Congratulations on getting some of the elements together!

That helps a LOT!

You will need to get a decent video camera. Get something that has HD, and really get to know that camera well, so that you can really get the most mileage out of your equipment. Make the lighting and locales work for you as well, and be sure you get good audio!

And make sure you get decent video editing software! I am presently using SONY Vegas, and you can get a decent price for it through EBay. Having a decent program really helps!

I admit to some cost overruns, but had the added expense of driving long distances to shoot in Canada (I live in Upstate New York). However, I agree with reptile84 concerning Blinky Productions; Chris Notarile has been a real inspiration for me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Scott Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equipment-wise, you can really go far with a used Canon HV30 ($350-$400), a Rode Video Mic ($150), a Rode Boom Pole ($150), and a home made lighting kit from Lowes or Home Depot (A few clamp lights and a fluorescent work like will be maybe $30-$40).

You are looking at $700-$800 here, but you are investing that in more than just one project. The boom pole is essential because a good mic is almost useless if just attached to your camera. You really need to get it close to your actor. To do this with the Rode Boom set up, get a 10 ft extension cable to connect the mic to the camera. You can go cheap with your boom pole, and make it yourself for like $40, but I'd recommend get the $150 from Rode. Your boom operator will thank you.

For some tips and trick on how to use those lights I recommended, check out Robert Rodriguez' ten minute film school, on how he made El Mariachi. He talks about lighting some, and is very cool. For your clamp lights you will need a square piece of diffusion paper to go over the rim of the clamp, to soften the light, make it more natural. You can use wax paper or cloth, and clothes pin it to the sides. Don't use cloth though if it will be in direct contact with the bulb. You can experiment with different kinds of bulbs, see what works best (60w, 100w, 200w, etc.)

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UOa7tkByrw

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLxqNwc1oYU&feature=related

Editing wise, if you are using Mac, go with Final Cut Express for like $100 or $200. For PC, I'm sure someone else can steer you in the right direction.

There ya go! I just described my entire set up when I started trying to take my films and equipment seriously. I've upgraded in a few areas but still use many of the pieces of equipment and tips used here. Hope it helps!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mdifilm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, besides what was said above, here are a few suggestions:

1. Contact from college film group or film students who can have access to cameras from school, as this is a free project (everyone volunteering), then it should be easy to get the camera.

2. i hope your fan film is a short film, it would help get yourself acquainted with the learning curve, but if it's a feature, then make sure you get reliable cast/crew that doesn't bail out at last minute during produciton.

3. Although you have next to nothing, if you are shooting a feature, always being considered and have water, munchies or provide meal if possible, this would help for the long run to have a good cast/crew that would be williing to come back and help you int he future.

4. I have here several cameras, from Panasonic HvX200 to Canon T2i and the Canon HV30, the HV30 shoots very good HD quality so you should be fine, you can play around with figuring out the DOF and it would make the film look much better.

5. Lighting wise, if $ is a problem, get work like and bounces them off or make sure there are plenty of actual house light for indoors and plenty of outdoor lights, sometimes, you can use car's headlight to help with the scene/mood

6. software wise for editing, FCP for Mac or Vegas/Premiere/AE for PC, always remember to color correct it and add the 'tone' you want, no Holywood films are out to the public without proper color processing, and so do you, to make sure it looks good. DOn't just edit and release it.

7. Sound wise, get a good/decent shotgun mic, again, with film school students, you can get it free with the camera, make sure it is done right. If you have bad audio, consider doing some ADR after rough edit is done.

8. Costume, which I think impacts a lot, you want a fan film that looks good, and it has great story, so visually should be nice, and having a good costume, it allowas the audience/viewer sinks into the story, if the costume is bad, the viewer will start nickpicking and will be drawn out of the story... (that's called a BUMP)

9. don't rush!

10. I recommend get a composer to help you with composing the score, there are plenty of composers that would help you for free, just ask (I got grammy nominated composers many times for free for their interest to get into film scoring). If you can't find any composer (which is undoubtful unless you are really in a town with less than 1000 people living), you just have to be SMART in putting the score, don't just find a music/batman score that you like and plug it in, it must work with the scene and it must carry the scene with the score, enhancing the experience.

11 and the most: TREAT everyone with RESPECT, yes, you are the producer/writer/director/editor/ etc. but it takes more than YOU to make a good film, so be respectful to everyone working with you, treat them as you would want to be treated.

Johnny Wu
www.mdifilm.com

S: A Superman Fan FIlm
facebook.com/S4superman

A Joker's Card - A parody Batman fan film. https://vimeo.com/1675742
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BiohazardXBW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not gona be helpful right now, but i only clicked this cu i though it said Genital Help
huntthejest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Um...to everyone that offered help, thank you guys so much. Costumes I plan on making from scratch(I kind of have a knack for it), and scoring I will do myself. I am a classically trained pianist and have composed a lot of the pieces, and intend to have my brother's rock band do a lot of the faster paced stuff. This is, in fact, a feature, but I feel confident that the story is good enough to keep the project moving. I'm much more interested in how to secure camera and sound equipment and how to handle the film so that it looks professionally done after editing. Your tips have been great. I will definitely look into film students. Hopefully I'll find one whose take will align with my vision. And Biohazard, please check into the free clinic. They're discreet- and FREE.
Russellwhite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: General Help Reply with quote

huntthejest wrote:
So, I am brand new to this board. I've wanted to make a Batman fan film since I was in high school. Here we are, 4 years later, and I have a decent script and, thanks to my interest in local theatre, a wonderfully talented cast. Now the hard part sets in. I need film equipment, costumes, and someone who knows something about filmaking to help me get this production going. My budget is next to nothing(READ: nothing) and I was wondering if any experienced filmakers had advice as to how I should proceed from here. Basically, this project is all passion. I've Peimar led made sure not to include anyone that didn't immediately become passionate about this project. They know they're not getting paid. That's not what its about. Its about doing what they love, and making something they're proud of. The story is one that is both new, and faithul to elements from some of my favorite Batman stories. Thanks!

I know one of my friend in film making field. Will ask him to contact you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BATMAN: Help Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: