Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Get Actors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogue647

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: How To Get Actors? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I need some help here. Me and my friends are planning on making a few projects this summer and one problem that we have is trying to get plenty of actors. I know it is difficult to get actors when we are unable to pay them. We are planning on offering anyone interested minimal compensation in the form of free food on the set, travel reimbursement, free DVD's of the project, etc. Do you guys have any advice on how to better attract and retain actors for film projects?
reptile84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Get Actors? Reply with quote

If you treat people well,
finish projects you start, people will respect you.

Its not the money rather than- are they having fun? Very Happy

Some people, actors, electricians, use your film projects as resume padder and a finished film effort is important. For them AND your reputation.
Was the Director someone worth working with?
Or was he utterly clueless? Confused

Does this guy actually complete projects or a quitter? etc.
if you see what I mean. Cool
huntthejest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good place to start is community theatre. These people are in it for the love of the game. They do plays that no one will see outside of a small, concentrated area. They put hours of work into these shows, give up a lot of their time and energy to put on a quality show and get paid nothing for it. Make sure you actually see the shows first, though. You need to select capable actors, not just people willing to do it. Approach them, let them know you appreciate their talent and would like to have them work on your project. Meet with them, and have them audition for the part you want them for. If its not a part they are interested in, or if they aren't right for it, keep an open mind. They may be able to fit into another role, or know someone who would fit the part. Most local theatre scenes tend to be tight-knit in my experience, and the good actors will acknowledge each others' talents. Treat them like professionals, and they will give you their best. Let them know upfront the project doesn't pay, and work around their schedules. These people have dayjobs too.
steve718

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of your ideas are good. And everything that everyone else has written are great ideas to.

Whenever I search for actors for my films, I first look for who will suit the part the best. When I find that person, I do a few things to entice them to participate. First, i always give them a free copy of the film on DVD, If it's a long shoot for that day I always provide food. Sometimes I even pick them up and drop them off at home if transportation is an issue.

The most important thing to remember is to treat your actors well. Make them feel like you truely appreciate them and that you realize that their time is valuable. Constantly thank them for their help and support. Also, keep them up to date with the progress of the film. It makes them feel important that you are taking time out of your day to keep them up to date.

And finally, if any of the actors/ crew of your film are involved in their own creative ventures, promote them. I promote everything that my cast/crew are involved in. One of my actors is pursuing a musical career so I put a link to his site on my website. I did the same for my graphic designer and I made a music video for my friend who does the music for my films. Whenever someone sees you helping them, they are usually more than happy to help you.

I hope this was all helpful and I wish you the best of luck on your films.
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are always using craigslist to find actors and crew...

Place a small ad in the local paper...not to expensive...also use any bill boards at the library or stores...

From my experience, I would tell you not to hire your friends or anyone who is not looking to be a professional actor. I have had people respond to my ads and the biggest thing I look for is "I'll give it a try.", or something like that. I have had more people who are not professional actors quit before production starts because they realize that it will take a lot of time to finish the film rather then finishing in one day.
ChristonaBike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingpeople.org is amazing for getting actors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BATMAN: Help Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: