Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Batman Fan Film Awards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=
NOT A DAMN PERSON ON THESE FORUMS isn't capable of learning the craft and networking enoguh to make enough contacts to make the same quality movies. Period. quote]

I agree with you. However, not all of us can make the same quality. For one, Collora had $30,000 to spend on a film. Schoenke and his father have their own business and put money towards films. Grayson was funded on credit cards.

Not all of us have this luxury of money. Second, those films were actual films. They were shot on film, not digital like most of us.

The production itself would be over a thousand, but the film developing would put it up way more.

So yes, the people in here are capable of doing something great. Same production value? Maybe not.
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody can make the contacts to borrow or rent an HD camera that looks almost as good as film. This is where somebody says "but I don't know anybody with an HD camera". Yeah? Then get off your ass and go find one. Almost every state has film meetings once a month for filmmakers in more than one city. Ours is called Indie Club and we have one in Cleveland (headed by Johnny Wu... or MDIFILM on the forums) and a Columbus one. Anybody can pull the resources to get the costumes. Grayson's Superman costume didn't look that great adn they didn't even have the money to make a Catwoman costume that was decent... so they played on their strengths and hid their weaknesses. That's the key. You can make a decent short film for 2 thousand bucks and I don't care how ol dyou are you can get that money. Eli Roth got money from everybody he possibly could to finish Hostile, he didn't pull hundreds of thousands of dollars from his ass. He got some from this aunt, some from the parents, the doctors, etc. Smith ran credit cards to hell. You can say "but I can't do that!" Well, he DID do that. If you're too young to raise the money, find somebody else who has it just like every other filmmaker in the world has to at some point. The fact of the matter is that everybody is capable (with the internet especially) of learning all the tricks necessary to make something low budget look good. However, most people flat out don't want to admit that yeah, they COULD go the extra mile but they'd rather just buy a Batman mask from Mr. Fun's and make a fan film. It's so much easier to grab a hand full of friends, dim the lights, and make your sister's bedroom Mr. Freeze's lair. It's so easy to go on the attack on anybody who says "hey man, that looked like crap" and to tell them that they have no right to judge until they've made their own movie. That's all easy, but it's essentially a cop out from one, admitting you can do better and two, being able to handle criticism or the fact that your movie isn't good. They'll have a shot at winning a fan film trophy because they'll make the ones who went the extra mile inelligible. That angers me so much and that's why I keep revisiting this topic. Stop lowering the bar. If it's really what you want to do with your life then why make excuses for being second rate?

ANYBODY CAN MAKE A GOOD FILM. The only thing you can't buy, borrow, or fake is talent. The rest is there, you just have to have the drive to get it.
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points...however, not all of us are old enough (I am) to apply for credit cards.

If making it is as easy as you say, then by all means show us how it is done.

Yes, most states do have monthly meetings, but no one is going to loan out their HD camera. I sure as hell won't. That is wear and tear on your equipment, not to mention if they break it...they won't repair it.

Explain to me how a 15, 16 year old kid is going to get a hold of $2,000. Seriously I would like to know.

Not to mention, making a fan film won't show any revenue. Hostle, did (how I don't know). Making a fan film would only be for promotional purposes, and that in it self is a lot for your aunt to swallow when you tell her the $100 she is giving you won't be returned.

As far as hiring your friends...DON'T DO IT. I hired my friends for my Nightwing film, and they think since they are your friend they are allowed not to show up, show up late, not memorize lines. They believe they have special treatment. They don't.

I have a full time job and about 4 credit cards, but I have to pay off the credit cards. I don't have a lot of money coming in and I don't have relatives that will hand over a lot of money. Yeah, maybe $10 or so, but I am not getting much more then that.

So show us...show us how it is done.
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmbrtn wrote:
show us how it is done.

Like this:

52,000+ hits on The Eyeball Papercuts. This was a series of fan films and sketches we made by taping over the same tapes. We learned the craft but we were always creative and so our stuff became popular, getting us invited to film clubs, getting us interviews, etc. It was made on home DV and it's entertainment value was high enough to make up for it's lack of professional quality. How did we get the money to pay for it? We were poor. There was no budget. I would sell my movies and DVDs to buy costumes or what we needed to make our own. Batman is wearing Batman t-shirt, a mask borrowed from a friend who played with it as a child, and a black grim reaper outfit for a cape. The Robin costume was borrowed from a friend who had worn it for Halloween. The costumes are garbage... so we turned our weakness into strength and made it about a pathetic Batman rather than trynig to make something "cool" or "hip" and it became very popular... sitting at number 1 at Comics2film.com for a long time

WELL OVER 63,000 hits on "Zombies in My Neighborhood" and growing forever. It is completely untrackable as it's been downloaded, uploaded, and podcasted over the last year and a half. It was shot on a mini DVD camera, borrowed from a doctore we knew. We knew a principle at a school who let us use the gym to film in. No budget. I bought pizza and chips for everybody, that was it. It's all family and friends acting in it and our sense of humor was very tongue-in-cheek. Mark Ordesky, executive producer of Lord of the Rings, saw it and asked me show him whatever feature script we came up with. (I'm on page 75 of "Zombies on My Airplane now)

OVER 2 MILLION hits on "Nintendo: Oldschool Revolution" and growing forever. A fan of "Zombies in My Neighborhood" got to talking. He loved the subtle sarcasm. I found out he was an animator. Asked him to animate a script I was working on. He did. It was the most watched animated short of 2006. NO BUDGET! JUST FRIENDS AND DEDICATION

Roughly 1 MILLION hits on "Batman's Gonna Get Shot in the Face" and growing forever. NO BUDGET. Voted 4th best short film of 2006 by Filmthreat and one more time, NO BUDGET. 4th best of the year. NO BUDGET. Get it? Same animator, a bigger and more dedicated crew. As we grew to have our own fanbase, it didn't take convincing to get people to help for free. They knew what they were working on was 1) going to get finished and 2) be awesome. It's impossible to track the amount of hits because it is podcasting EVERYWHERE.

WELL OVER 30,000 hits on "The Losers Have a Junkyard"... FINALLY I had a budget. Guess what I did? I went out of town working on the road for two months straight, staying in a hotel with a sweaty annoying construction worker. It was a nightmare. "Losers" was not designed to be hilarious. It was our first work on real film, and I was reading up online to find out what I needed to do to move forward as far as DPs, lighting, sound, and all that went. I sacrificed writing quality and my imagination for professional quality. I wanted things to run smoothly so I made the script pretty dumbed down and simple and watched our friends (and some professionals) work like a real movie crowd. I even scored Lloyd Kaufman after an actress spotted "Zombies on My Neighborhood" and invited me up to Buffalo to work as a chicken zombie in Troma's most recent film. WE PAID FOR OUR OWN TRIP TO NEW YORK. We paid for the hotel (and mind you, we were all dirt poor... 5 of us in one room). I stepped out of line on set and approached Lloyd, gave him a copy of "Zombies", and a few months later he's in "The Losers Have a Junkyard".

My point is, I'm from Ohio. I have no desire to leave Ohio but everybody in LA tells me that's not realistic. I'm now working on a feature film script, which we'll shoot on 35mm film. I don't have investors yet, but I know damn well that I'll get them because we've proven how popular and successful our films are. I KNOW we'll shoot on 35mm film no matter how many people roll their eyes and say "yeah right" because every dime we get from an investor he'll get back and then some. Everybody talks about how hard it is to raise the money but just watch... I'll do it and make it look easy and other filmmakers will hate me for it. I've read the books, heard the horror stories, and watched the DVDs on budget raising. We've got everything accomplished one needs to in order to finally go there and we've got Lloyd Kaufman askign me to make sure he's got a role in our feature film. We've got the rights to THE TOXIC AVENGER for God's sake and we're broke!

So... somebody under age thinks it's "impossible" to raise 2,000 bucks? No way, it's not impossible... but first you have to ask yourself "am I READY to handle 2 grand responsibly?". You want me to "show you how" to raise 2 grand when you're a kid? If you're ready, you show yourself... with the library or the internet you look it up. Read the books and watch the DVDs, DO THE WORK. First, have you proven to yourself that you would even know the first thing abotu what to do with a budget yet? It took a lot of hard work for our guys to get there. Do people think they're allowed to skip the dedication and paying of the dues that everybody else had to go through and that they can just walk right up to the front of the line and grab a trophy for 1st place? Is it really fair to discard Sabloff, Fiorella, Collora, or anybody because they paid their dues and got the job done and did it right? If you've got that creative spark and a good eye for how to pull it off, you can make a home video as fun to watch as a 35mm short film. Most people suck early on, but it's not a rule that you have to. The minute you start making excuses for why you "just can't do it" then you might as well quit right there. You think you'll do it later but when later comes you'll have a brand new string of excuses. If it's being too young or poor now, it will be that you're too busy later, believe me. As the dreamers get older, most of them remain just that... dreamers.

I had no desire to brag at all. I was just trying to show that with almost no money ($1,500 on the film stock for "Losers") we have been mentioned in the Washington Post, the Troma site and paper, and praised on Filmthreat and every other fanboy forum. It's not bragging. It's me trying to show everybody that you don't need any advantages going in whatsoever. No, a 15 year old can't hop in the car and drive to New York to work with Lloyd Kaufman, but to each person there are different options and open doors. If you've got the drive, you'll find your way. You just need to work at it, whether you're 11 or 80.
infurno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a list of awards I suggest:

- Best Film
- Best Director
- Best Actor
- Best Actrice
- Best set/ set design
- Best costumes
- Best original music
- Best screenplay/ story
- (Best animation film)
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put "best original music" because the winner will probably end up being something that's not all that great. There isn't a whole lot of original music in the fan film world.

Is anybody really organizing this? Why keep it just Batmanfanfilms.com? Why not include Fanfilms.net, Fanboytheatre.com, Cinema-Crazed.com, TheForce.net, and all the others in HUGE fan film contest where they all include updates and the winners?
Aerial Prince of Gotham

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to include other boards and sites .. then I think that would fall to organize that as he is in charge of these boards.
infurno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not make an award-show with all those other fanfilms website?
tmbrtn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You want me to "show you how" to raise 2 grand when you're a kid?

I'm not a kid.
stephen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Smallville Reply with quote

uhvg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dick killed Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmbrtn wrote:
Quote:
You want me to "show you how" to raise 2 grand when you're a kid?

I'm not a kid.

It wasn't directed at you in particular.

Guys I think this is a good idea that doesn't look like it's going to get off the ground. It might take somebody who's financially stable enough to put his time and effort into... most of us are still focusing 100% on making movies. If our feature film goes as we hope, I'd be all for making a "fan film" website and an award deal. Right now, I just can't make that a priority.

So, if somebody does do this, great. I'm not convinced it's more than talk at this point, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BatmanFanFilms.com All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: