Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
STAR TREK FAN FILM COMMUNITY IN CURRENT PERIL!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rac Shade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: STAR TREK FAN FILM COMMUNITY IN CURRENT PERIL! Reply with quote

To anyone here who is a current trekkie like myself,and to anyone who recalls me posting episodes not one but two ST fan/indie films series,namely Star Trek Phase II/New Voyages and Star Trek Continues.

Something very bad and frustrating has been declared between the ST fan film community and the current owners of ST CBS/Paramount.

They,as in they at CBS placed a stupid and rigid I might add set of guidelines for those who want to make any new ST fan films.

In a nutshell from what I heard that the so called rules are this...all films must be no longer than 15 minutes long,must not carry any ST props or names and must be of amateurish production.

You might just saw WTF,or something like that to these rules,lol.

Yes,it's also a bad time for the same ST film series that I have been currently watching as well as trouble for current ST film projects like STAR TREK AXANAR,which was where this trouble began and get this..
There was to be a continuation of a ST webseries called Star Trek:RENEGADES,but thanks to the stupid a$$ guidelines the production company just removed all ST concepts and trademarks from it and decided to just call it..RENEGADES,which I think is just them giving up the battle.

I don't know what else to report on this,we can only hope that CBS will one day have a change of heart and change those guidelines,I for one was really hoping to see more of ST PHASE II,it's my fave ST webseries thus far.

Who knows,maybe all fans will form a petition or something.
Either way,i'll post anything new when I find out more about this jarring situation.
reptile84

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axanar should have known they would 'flag' the attention of Lawyers raising a million dollars on Kickstarter. I mean, GET REAL.

True, 10 yrs ago, I worked on U.S.S. EXETER- "The Tressaurian Intersection" but we used our own money, we did not hold a Kickstarter campaign...Our actors were not professional either, like Gene Roddenberry, we used relatively newcomers....unlike Axanar -not paid...Nobody got paid. I spent $1000 making sure the bridge looked EPIC, unlike New Voyages, our bridge instruments illuminated, buttons did things.....now the property of Oklahoma...except a few toys I kept.
Very Happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPaOea4Qx4Y

I knew this would happen. To be fair, other films were creeping up the bar raising hundreds, USS Hathaway ( I donated $200)...thousands->( HORIZON) $5000 (Starship Valiant) ($3500- I donated maybe $25)

I loved the results Axanar were producing, but feared they were sticking their finger in the fan while others, like myself, did it for artistic reasons.
I won't cry any tears for Alex and company, let's face it, Star Trek is not his property nor mine. He has a difficult task convincing anyone that a Million dollars isn't any profit...I believe he well crossed the NON-PROFIT boardwalk....He got the attention he wanted, in spades...
I don't think it's fair to other Fan films doing it with their own money but 'here we are'....I'm almost O.K. wih it, I mean, Star Trek Fan films were being exploited with Jim Cawley trying to use it for personal gain,
and the egos were getting HUGE, try to send "StarTrek Continues" an email and get a reply... Confused and EXETER TREK ripping off the good name of U.S.S EXETER, I mean, come on....14 Starships and you couldn't use another name?Razz
I've left Star Trek and moved onto other genres, to keep my mental health- mostly a Fan of Superheroe Films these days.
Making a Fan film is a gamble and the results weren't what I wanted in my case...Producer taking 10 yrs to get out of the editing room and then having some other stake holder actually complete the film because he obviously wasn't 'able to'...Not cool, but least the Fans got to see EXETER finished and on youtube.

Perhaps I'm a poor example to pose this question to Confused
Rac Shade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL,no reptile. You're not a poor example of posing the question,but thank you for replying it was appreciated as always.

What you said made a lot of sense in several ways,but believe you me,I had no idea that there were clashes and rises of egos and such,or maybe I just never payed attention to it,heh.

I understand you'd take your distance and leave of what you did with Exeter,but...I again tell you true,it's always been an honor to meet one of the production members and I always believed you and everyone else did a fantastic as it got job creating your own classic style trek series,even if it was only two episodes,at least it gave us a taste of what your vision was,hell I always loved that you guys used an andorian even.

I'm just saying please don't be ashamed of this work you did Reptile,I for one personally believe it was a work of art in itself,a good contribution to the world of ST fan/indie films and all. I'm just sorry your head man/captain wimped out like he did,believe me I know what it's like dealing with people who bail or flake out on something on me.

Lastly,it's thanks to people like james cawley that helped people like myself look at ST TOS again through new eyes,at least that's what he did for me,and i'm still hoping i'll see more of what episodes he has left in his Star Trek Phase II series. At least we're gonna get another episode of Vic Mignogna's Star Trek Continues,but who knows what'll happen next after that?

Time will tell.
Rac Shade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wait! There might(And I do mean might.)be hope yet for the ST fan films community. I discovered at the Axanar FB page there is a letter writing campaign to help the honchos at CBS to change the guidelines.

And here it is.
Link: (click here)

I myself just might get into this as well. Just have to look it over and everything.

So,to anyone else who feels the same way about this current situation,read this and spread the word,letters wise that is to CBS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » General Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: