Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How long should one film be?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatfanBogota

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: How long should one film be? Reply with quote

With length restrictions easing on YouTube, the question arises whether or not one should have one continuous file, or several smaller files.

My question concerns one's attention span. Any thoughts on this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Scott Hamilton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely hard to get people interested in your film enough to click through all the parts on Youtube. Youtube is also the most visited site, over others such as Vimeo and DailyMotion which allow longer videos. So by that logic, yes it is probably best to keep them under 10 or 15 minutes.

But having made a 50 minute fan film (which was a great experience, and I'm still proud of it), if I were ever going to do it again, I would keep it under 10 minutes, regardless of Youtube restrictions. That way you don't have to put so much of your time and life into it, and can really focus on every shot being perfect. Short and sweet, and then onto another project. More people will be willing to watch that way too.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mdifilm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, not sure if this is a case, a few years back, you can sign up as a filmmaker and allows you unlimited length upload. Now I think 20mins is the 'most' they allow, but I could be wrong, see if you can convert your account to a filmmaker account (or director account) that would work.

That said, yes, the shorter the better, of course, the short it is, the 'cooler' the film would get (look at all the different films out there) Smile For Festival perspective, the shorter, the chances to be accepter increases.

S: A Superman Fan FIlm
facebook.com/S4superman

A Joker's Card - A parody Batman fan film. https://vimeo.com/1675742
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
reptile84

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a long film, I'd do it. Provided it has enough content justifying the length.

Post some Trailers for it which are always less than the time limit.

If people get excited, or interested, they will go to your website to see the Feature length version of your film..I've done this for a few Indiana Jones Fan films where I went to their website to watch it in full after seeing their Trailers.

I mean, if they aren't excited by the Trailer, I highly doubt they'd bother to watch a full version on youtube....just my 2 cents.
AndMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less is almost always more, ESPECIALLY when making a short film.

For a feature, 3 acts, 90-110 pages, 90-120min.

I wrote a blog about this once, I go into more detail if you're interested Razz
Link: (click here)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BATMAN: Help Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: