Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Are we copping out, trying to make a fanfilm of Mad Love?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BatSecret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Are we copping out, trying to make a fanfilm of Mad Love? Reply with quote

Okay, so... my friends and I started prep for our fanfilm way before I knew this website existed. I knew of some stuff on youtube (Dead End, Joker Blogs, etc etc etc), but didn't know the community was so large and passionate!

Anyway, reading through the forum has me a little worried...

Our idea, and finished screenplay and rehearsals up to this point, have been based on the idea of turning Mad Love (the graphic novel and BTAS episode) into a 90-minute movie, to be chopped into ten-minute chunks to be put on youtube over a period of time. It's similar to movies like Patient J and The Joker Blogs, I guess, in that we're delving a lot into the flashback sequence and Harleen's sessions with the Joker, but the movie is VERY strictly set in the comic-verse (with a couple of tongue-in-cheek references to Adam West's Batman, as well as Chris Nolan's).

We've been working hard, building purple tailcoats, getting permission to film in dentists' offices, and trying to figure out how to make squash courts look like the cells in Arkham Asylum.

It worries me, though, to see all of you guys' fantastic creativity and originality. Our group wanted to make a living, breathing tribute to a story we already know well and love a lot (with some plot changes to get away with not having piranhas, and stuff like that)... but I'm worried now that maybe Batman fans won't respect us or our film because we're basing it off of Paul Dini and Bruce Timm's work, even some of the dialogue... there are chunks taken from Arkham Asylum (the game) and the Graphic Novel, because we felt the dialogue by Paul Dini is kind of iconic. Full credit, of course; we're not claiming to have come up with what isn't ours. There's also a lot of original material, and a lot of new jokes and some extended scenes.

Maybe if all goes well we'd like to try some original stuff, but we thought it would be fun to bring stories we'd only seen drawn before, to life. I just don't want to do something that would be considered disrespectful or a waste of time.

What do you all think?

Last edited by BatSecret on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking as someone who already did this (the "Mr. J" series). i definitely think you should do something else. mad love has indeed been done to death. i recommend something we havent seen before.
BatSecret

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, I've seen your Mr. J series, and while I think it's a project with a lot of passion and some great makeup effects and interesting acting choices, it doesn't have much to do with what I'm talking about, which is exploring the comic canon.

I, personally, enjoy all the different takes on Mad Love I've seen, just because I like seeing different peoples' interpretations of the same themes. Everything from the Harley and Mr. J series, to Chris' Mr. J series, to the Joker Blogs.

Anyway, I'm afraid you misunderstood, and I'm sorry for not being clear: the question was not which story we should do (we've already spent a month and a half on pre-production), but whether or not people feel it's 'copping out' to explore already-established stories from the Batman canon, or whether fanfilm makers should aspire to create entirely original works.

EDIT: Unless you meant that original ideas are much more worth doing than stories based off other movies or comics or whatever... In which case, when did you change your mind about that, and why?
Chris .R. Notarile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i meant doing something original rather than exploring the cannon. reason being is that we know the story already. so unless youre going to do it 100% the way it is in the book, theres no point, nor room for creative license. as a filmmaker, i dont like always being bogged down by the story and like some room to do some of my own things. so thats what i mean by just doing your own thing.

doing a canon mad love story, the only correct way to do it is verbatim, now while thats a challenge itself, if you by chance fall short of your goal, you will be harshly critiqued. and it can be anything too. harley's 30 pounds too fat. you copped out on breaking a window. you cut a scene because you couldnt afford it. etc.

when i did the mr. j series, kim and i immediately decided it would be our own thing. a combination of comic meets nolan. and from that, i think we created a pretty cool sub universe.

i think it might be cooler for you to try the same. but thats just my 2 cents.
reptile84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to see it before I form an opinion.
A live portrayal of a cartoOn episode alone is intriguing and is going to be somewhat different. I don't see how it can't be.

'Copping out' has different meaning to me.
In my mind, copping out is having a bunch of people bust their tails helping you create a Fan film, no pay, no rewards....Then decide you can't handle the pressure or quit because you moved onto 'other things.....and never release the film. That makes you a #@&! (sorry, been a victim of such a loser)

THAT is a cop out. Evil or Very Mad
Actually making a Fan film and releasing it, warts and all, is respectable....To the Fans and the people whom volunteered their services.
Scott Hamilton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BatSecret,

Don't worry about taking others advice on what you should and shouldn't do. Not meaning you've received bad advice, but at the end of the day it's just one persons opinion. Considering you are already a month and a half into productions, I'd say keep on with whatever you want to do. If it's good, people will like it no matter what you based it on.

Good luck!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BatSecret

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the thoughtful opinions and advice, guys. Really means a lot. Smile
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Love is a great episode/comic, so its a really good starting point - probably better than something original. If you're worried you might write something sub par and ruin what could be a great film, stick to what works already.

Honestly there's not much gain from doing something "original" anyway - you don't own any of the characters, so as far as most of your audience is considered it wouldn't be original even if the story was new.

The only thing I'd be hesitant about - and very hesitant - is the fact you plan on making it 90 minutes. Not only would that be a huge investment of time and money, but its the type of project that life gets in the way of. It could take years to make something that long, and your style as a writer/director would change over time. Suddenly you'll want to reshoot this bit, and that, and on and on. Or you'll just bin the whole project when you're half way through and you're Batman can't take it anymore.

Also, and more importantly, what says people want to watch that? We're all short film makers here, and most of us don't have egos, so I can honestly tell you the majority of your audience will not watch a 90 minute fan film, whether its broken into episodes or not. People just don't have the time, and on any youtube viewing page there's thousands of links to other videos, similar and shorter than yours.

Look at your scripts, look at the locations and actors you have, then look at the story you're trying to tell. You have 15 minutes of youtube run time. What can you do with that? Surely you could take all your best ideas and make a fantastic 12 minute short, rather than a 90 minute borefest that only picks up every 10 minutes, because you're trying to be faithful?

This is just my opinion of course, but in my experience the hardest thing about film making is simply getting people to watch the films you make. I have such a hard time getting views for the 5 minute films I make, I can't imagine trying to sell a 90 minute fan film to the internet if you're serious beyond fifteen people watching it.

Good luck with your project.

http://vimeo.com/stevenshanahan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BATMAN: Help Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: