Home | Films | Trailers | Teasers | Scripts | Submit | Forum | Chat | Newsletter | Contact 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Accents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MooseEatFilm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Accents Reply with quote

Hey all!

I'm new to the forum, and to fan film making, and I live in Wales in the UK (soon to move to London). I really want to make a fan film, but I'm held back by the issue of accents.

What's your opinion on American characters being played with British accents? I don't know any Americans and none of my friends (who will be acting) can do an American accent.
reptile84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched a Batman Fan film made in Ireland.
A couple Fan films (posted here) are made in France.
Surprisingly, I enjoyed them.
It's cool to see different perspectives.

Irish accent didn't bother me, nor the French
(though the French are bizarre anyway) Wink

As long as the story is well presented I think
most viewers will not care.

NIKE: just do it!
jmoschner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part it doesn't really matter, as long as the acting is solid. Plus it is a fan film so there is far more leeway than a Hollywood production.

Don't let something as trivial as the accent of the actors hamper your film. Just go out and make it.

If anything use the accents and the whole British thing to your advantage and maybe even do a British batman.

(Also if you can somehow get Graham Norton to play Alfred that would make it the best Fan film ever)
huntthejest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best fan films I've ever seen had English accents. I think it was a shot by shot recreation of year one. Its been awhile since I watched it, but the impression I took from it was how well done it was. At first, the accents bothered me. As an American, I do feel a slight bias to the Batman characters being American, so my first reaction was adverse to it. But, I gave it a chance, and I'm glad I did. By the end, I had forgotten the accents and thought the feature itself was just outstanding. If the American accent is difficult for your actors to master, I'd say don't sweat it. Just make a quality production. However, it'd be worth it to push your actors in that respect, making their overall performance better for it. A lot of fan films suffer from convenient casting, losing quality through bad acting. If you push your actors for better performances, it can only make the finished product better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BFF Forum Index » BATMAN: Help Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: